Adopt a chimpanzee and receive
- Your own cuddly toy chimpanzee to keep at home
- An adoption pack, including a personalised certificate, animal story, fact sheet and glossy photo to display.
- A copy of Born Free’s bi-annual Adopt magazine with exclusive updates.
Chimpanzee lives in groups that can range in size from 15 to 150 members, although individuals travel and forage in much smaller groups during the day. They have a strict male-dominated hierarchy, where disputes are generally settled without the need for violence.
Nearly all chimpanzee populations have been recorded using tools, modifying sticks, rocks, grass and leaves and using them for hunting and acquiring honey, termites, ants, nuts and water. The species has also been found creating sharpened sticks to spear small mammals.
udopt it because
- Chimpanzees are classed as endangered according to IUCN’s Red List. Chimpanzee numbers in the wild have significantly declined in the past 30 years and that decline is set to continue unless we take action.
- Poaching, hunting for bushmeat, habitat loss and outbreaks of contagious diseases are some of the issues to blame for their decline.
- Adopting a chimpanzee with Born Free will help care for rescued orphaned chimps in Born Free-supported sanctuaries in Uganda and Cameroon.
- Adopting a chimpanzee makes for a fantastic gift. Not only will it delight and educate the recipient but funds will go towards Born Free’s critical work.
- Adoption programmes start from as little as £3.00 a month.
>> Adopt a Chimpanzee Today
Adopt a Chimpanzee Gallery
Did you know?
- Wild chimpanzees only live in Africa.
- Humans and chimpanzees share up to 98 percent of the same DNA. Biologically, chimpanzees are more closely related to humans than they are to gorillas.
- Chimpanzees make and use tools. For a long time, scientists thought human beings were the only ones who made tools.
- Chimpanzees in the wild can live up to 50 years old.
- Chimpanzees sometimes hunt and eat small mammals such as monkeys.
- They also eat fruit, nuts, seeds, leaves, and insects.
- Chimpanzees have a wide variety of tastes and are able to live in varying habitats.